The Thursday of Tales 2016 was entirely in full swing. Too many great events to attend. Here are a few highlights from my day:
- Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte pours their eponymous bruts, both classic and rosé at Tableau. The event includes a massive charcuterie table that would make anyone drool, a live pianist, a balcony overlooking Jackson Square, and of course cocktail recipes that include the champagnes.
- Mezan Rum and Mezcal take over Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse. Lots of live music, several bottles of Mezcal and Rum available for pouring or mixing, and rich satisfying food including cake pops imbued with their liquor.
- Amaro Montenegro holds a cocktail competition in the Conti Corner Suite of the Royal Sonesta. William Perbellini wins with his "Montenegro a Colazione" ("Montenegro for breakfast").
- Absolut Elyx posts up in Bevolo for their usual House of Elyx. Guests are treated to the copper-crafted vodka appropriately, with all the barware and (pleasantly heavy) cups made of copperware... gnomes, unicorns, and the classic pineapple. Customized jewelry and gifts are complementary.
- Singani63, Steven Soderbergh's brandy-ish drink, hosts a 63 Secrets Spirited Dinner at Cellar Door. Cocktails, food, and clues scattered throughout the venue, upstairs and down. Lots of espionage and a beautiful astmosphere.
It's been a fantastic Tales so far, and with the weekend upon us, the excitement only promises to continue.
Andrew Marin writes about cocktails and food for Where Y’at Magazine, and he is working Tales of the Cocktail (talesofthecocktail.com) this year. Follow him @ndrewmarin on Twitter and Instagram, and add andrewmarin on Snapchat for live updates.