One of the greatest pleasures in life is the smell of freshly baked goods. There's nothing better than the smell of the delicious air inside bakeries, especially of recently baked bread. On March 21, your sense of smell will reach its peak with National French Bread Day. Visit all your favorite bakeries and enjoy either traditional French baguettes or New Orleans's own French bread. Make sure that you stop by your favorite bakery and, while enjoying their bread, order some delicious pastries and maybe a cup of coffee to have the complete bakery experience. Take a friend, study buddy, or just treat yourself to anyone of these local favorites:
- La Boulangerie: One of the best bakeries in New Orleans, stop by La Boulangerie for some traditional baguettes. There are also countless sweet and savory croissants, a good selection of lunch items, and many types of patisseries. If you're looking for a cozy, neighborhood café, La Boulangerie will not let you down. Open every day from 7 a.m.to 4 p.m. 4600 Magazine St., 504-269-7777, laboulangerie.com.
- Dong Phuong Oriental Bakeshop: Being one of the first Vietnamese bakeries in the city, Dong Phuong (meaning "East") is the gem of New Orleans East. Try its signature "light and airy with a crispy crust that melts in your mouth" New Orleans-style French bread. Recognized as a James Beard Foundation America's classic, we assure you that Dong Phuong is worth the trip. 14207 Chef Menteur Hwy., 504-252-1568, dpbakeshop.com.
- Gracious Bakery: Enjoy any of the three locations Gracious Bakery has to offer in either Uptown, Mid-City, or the Garden District. Serving a variety of laminated French pastries, baguettes, creative desserts, unique sandwiches, and more. They are open every day from 7 a.m.to 3 p.m. (hours may differ due to location). Multiple Locations, graciousbakery.com.
- Hi Do Bakery: Known for its incredible pastries and king cakes, Hi Do Bakery also makes marvelous New Orleans-style French Breads, available in small, medium, and large. The family-owned bakery puts a lot of love into its baking, so be sure to stop by Hi Do Bakery and try its amazing baked goods. 439 Terry Pkwy., Terrytown, 504-366-6555, facebook.com/hidobakery.
- Breads On Oak: This bakery thrives off of providing organic, plant-based food to its customers, as well as a perfect environment indoors and outdoors. Visit Breads on Oak and order some of the best baguettes and pastries around, while also having plenty of vegan options at hand. Open from 7:30 a.m.to 6 p.m. on Wednesday-Saturday and from 7:30 a.m.to 3 p.m. on Sunday-Tuesday. 8640 Oak St., 504-324-8271, breadsonoak.com.