Is buying a gift for yourself selfish? Not at all. Shopping for thoughtful gifts for your loved ones is enjoyable, but exhausting. Why not splurge a little on yourself while you're at it? The gauntlet of holiday madness can be grueling but wearing - or shopping for - something that makes you feel good makes it all so much better. Treat yourself to some gifts that will help you keep your sanity.
I have complied a list of six "treat yourself" essentials from local businesses that will keep you looking and feeling great. Take my advice and splurge on a few - or all - of these things. You deserve it!
- A fabulous little black dress is your first essential. We all have those holiday parties we must attend, and something that makes you feel beautiful, sexy, and put together is a must. This shimmery knit cocktail dress from Abeille NOLA is under $130 makes a statement as well as being very comfy. On a side note, it also looks just as great backwards.
- A great pair of red heels are a must! Every girl should own a pair of heels like these red lipstick suede open d'orsay pumps by Jessica Simpson available at Shoeffle. They can be worn with your favorite party dress or paired with jeans for a casual holiday look. The best part is, they are only $79.
- My absolute must-have essential for myself during the holidays and any other time for that matter is eyelash extensions from Uptown Charm. Individual lashes are glued on to your real lashes for a truly natural look. They cost around $250 for an initial set, but a monthly refill is only $50. These are well worth the splurge girls, especially if you are a working mom like myself. You can wear minimal makeup and still look as if you have put maximum effort into it.
- We all need a comfy pair of pajamas that are appropriate enough to wear in front of your family, but not so unassuming that your husband ignores you after the Santa Claus duties have been fulfilled. These comfy but also mildly alluring pajamas are available at my favorite "maintenance" spot, Bombshell Waxing. Your man will thank you for not wearing the same matching footie pajamas as the kids.
- Living in the south we never know what the weather is going to be like around the holidays, but when it gets cold here, we are never prepared. A pair of chic gloves like these fur trimmed fingerless gloves from Abeille NOLA are a fashionable way to stay warm and in touch. The "fingerless" aspect allows you to still operate your lifeline - aka cell phone - while still looking fabulous, not homeless.
- All those decadent holiday meals leave you feeling bloated? You need something to keep you looking svelte in that little black dress. The answer is green (and red) juice. My favorite fresh juice bar in the city is Raw Republic. One green juice equals five - count 'em, five - salads. When you are eating horribly or just too much this holiday season, juicing is the perfect savior for your body. Have a smoothie or a juice instead of breakfast or lunch and you will feel much better about indulging at holiday parties. Their smoothies and juices run between $8 & $10 and are 100% organic. Raw Republic also offers daily juice cleanses that will promise to "clean you out" after the holidays are over.
Local business referenced above:
4500 Magazine Street. Ste 3
New Orleans, LA 70115
3343 Metairie Rd #7
Metairie, LA 70005
228 N Columbia St
Covington, LA 70433
4528 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70115
3618 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70115