As a woman, I find it hard finding creative gifts for men. You can go the professional route (ties), the goofy route (various toys and novelties), or the dad route (coffee mug). Here are some ideas for innovative manly gifts for that special man in your life
1. A Shave from Aidan Gill – The master of southern shaving, Aidan Gill has two locations for the removal and styling of hair on Magazine St. and Fulton St. This is a twice-a-year gift to my father. You can get a full haircut or hot shave with the addition of a complimentary cocktail for your man, or purchase some luxurious shaving cream in the scent that you like from their large selection.
2. Dinner in a Manning's Recliner – For the sports lover, getting a spot in one of the luxurious recliners that face a 13 x 7 foot screen at Manning’s on Fulton Street for that important game would be a blessing. Archie Manning has made sure that the food is down- home delicious, and there are twenty beers on tap.
3. The Man Collection by Sucré – If he’s got a sweet tooth, there’s a box of chocolates just for him. Chocolatiers Sucre has a box of Dark Chocolate Caramel Cookies, Extra Dark Drinking Chocolate, Candied Pecans and chocolate bars for men only. I’m sure you will still want to sneak a bite as well.
4. Vom Fass Olive Oil and Vinegar – In my family, any gift that’s food related is a safe bet –we all enjoy cooking, especially when we have different and creative ingredients. Vom Fass, the specialty oil and vinegar store located at 129 Carondelet St., has walls full of interesting olive oils and vinegars. The best part is that you can sample them all before purchasing. They also have pre-made gifts for those in a hurry.
5. Golf at Audubon Park Golf Course – For the slow sporting man, a round of golf at the lovely Audubon Park Golf Course would make for a fun, yet relaxing day of outdoor sport. You can choose the day of the week and either a walking or driving pass to suit your budget. If you want to extend the gift, you can purchase a pass good for six months or one year.
6. Perlis Giftcard – Every girl’s crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man, and in New Orleans the sharpest clothes come from Perlis. But it may not be the best idea to buy his clothes for him. So take the safe route and get him a gift card – he’s sure to find something nice. He could get the traditional Mardi Gras shirt, a crawfish polo or some Louisiana-fied accessories.
7. Beef at Doris Metropolitan - This is a traditional gift for the carnivorous male. What makes it stand out to me is the somehow artistic meat locker with large chunks of animal sitting on small tables under stark lights – it’s quite alluring. The most meaty entree items include veal cheek braised in red wine, Falls Off the Bone short ribs cooked for 24 hours, and the Doris Burger. There’s also an extensive listing of steak selections.
8. A Night on Oak St. - Oak Street at night is low-key with bars and restaurants spread out by quiet, closed shops. That’s what’s great about it. Take him for an elevated bar food and beer at Ale on Oak (Fried Catfish Banh Mi!) then dance the night away at Maple Leaf bar. You pick up the tab for this special night…he’s sure to appreciate the gesture.
9. Scaling Rocks at New Orleans Boulder Lounge - For the physically inclined, the New Orleans Boulder Lounge will provide hours of fun just climbing up and down the walls full of holds offering varying levels of difficulty. In fact, there is 2500 square feet of climbing area. He can really get out his energy here and show off his strength: a manly favorite that doesn’t go away with age. The Boulder Lounge doesn’t use ropes, but they have plenty of padding if you fall.
10. A Nice Cigar from the Mayan Import Company – For the smoker – habitual or occasional – he’ll enjoy a nice cigar from the large selection at The Mayan Import Company located, at 3000 Magazine Street in the historic Orphanage Building. It’s the largest tobacco shop in the city. He can slowly select his cigar then unwind in the lounge as he enjoys it or takes a leisurely stroll down the picturesque street.