A possible listeria contamination in Bar-S hotdogs and corndogs has caused more than 370,000 of the company’s meat products to be recalled. No confirmed reports or tests linking Bar-S products to the illness have been confirmed, but the USDA is taking a precautionary measure of recalling after Bar-S notified the government of “recurring Listeria species at the firm.” Tests are still underway.
The symptoms of Listeria include fever, muscle aches, headaches, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions. The elderly, pregnant women, newborns and those with weak immune systems are most vulnerable to the infection. If you have bought the following products, the USDA warns that you should not consume them, dispose of them, or return them:
- 1-lb. packages of "BAR-S Classic BUN LENGTH Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED" with "Use By" date of 10/11/2016 and case code 209.
- 12-oz. packages of "BAR-S CLASSIC Franks MADE WITH CHICKEN, PORK ADDED" with package code 6338, "Use By" date of 10/10/2016 and case code 6405.
- 1.5-lb. cartons of "SIGNATURE Pick 5 CORNDOGS – 8 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with a "Use By" date of 4/6/2017 and case code 6071.
- 2.67-lb. cartons of "BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with "Use By" dates of 4/7/2017 and 4/8/2017 and case code 6396.
- 3-lb. cartons of "BAR-S CLASSIC CORN DOGS – 16 Honey Batter Dipped Franks On A Stick" with package code 14054, "Use By" dates of 4/6/2017 and 4/9/2017, and case code 14038.