Nothing like the power from Oprah Winfrey. Yesterday (July 3), the media mogul gave an illustrious speech that reiterated as to how her faith and determination helped her become who the world knows her to be.
The Essence Festival hosted the talk show host on Saturday to a crowd of women eagerly awaiting not only for her arrival but to hear just what she had to say.
In rare form, Winfrey’s appearance marked a first for the annual music festival. She stated, "This is my first time here. What took me so long? …All I got to say is it's beyond happiness to be here."
Other noteworthy speakers included Winfrey’s gal pal Gayle King and “Selma” director Ava DuVernay who added to Winfrey’s words of empowerment, taking over things needed for one’s on personal achievement.
Check out a few highlights from Winfrey’s success discoveries during her hour speech via People:
- "I used to dream the dream driving through the white peoples' neighborhoods. You'd see their fancy houses. Sometimes they had gates, but all of them had trees. I thought, 'Oh, rich people have trees. Some people want pocketbooks and cars, but I want me some trees," she said.
- "About three years ago, I was sitting in my kitchen window, making coffee in the morning and I saw the six trees," she continued. "I was making the coffee. I saw the six trees. I went out on the porch to actually count the six trees, and this is what I noticed: That I could dream the six, but beyond the six trees in my kitchen window are 3,687 trees. How do I know? Because I had them counted. I dreamed the six. That was as much as my small mind and my imagination can see. I dreamed the six, but God can see beyond the six."
- "I am living the dream. And I want you to live the dream because I'm not living the dream because I'm special. I'm living the dream because I was obedient to the call of the dream. I want you to leave here today thinking about what is the dream for you? What is God's dream for you? What does the creator's dream hold for you? So often we spend our lives hoping and wishing and hoping and wishing and desiring things. This is what I know for sure: You don't get what you hope for. You don't get get what you wish for. You get what you believe."
- "You have no power over any territory other than your own, but you are the master of that. You get to be the captain of your own soul and if you just manage that, if you just took care of your territory, all the glorious, glorious, glorious wondrous opportunities and possibilities are waiting for you. The question is, what are you resisting?"
- "Your life is big. Your life is huge, and we spend so much time wanting to be in somebody else's life, and you don't get honored, you don't get revered, you don't get celebrated wanting what somebody else has."
Winfrey’s testimony and encouraging words for festival goers was immensely powerful. As we are told often, about how much power is in our words, we still have to remember that application and activity is required from us. The journey to “success” has no road map but fortification’s main purpose is to supply us with how to continue despite obstacles.